welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Valentines Day

A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE: Valentine's Day or Saint Valentines Day is a holiday named after two of the numerous Early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The day became associated with romanitc love in the circle of Geoffery Chaucer in the High Middle Ages, when tradition of courtly loved flourished.
A CYNICAL PERSPECTIVE: The U.S. Greeting Card Association estimated that approx one billion Valentines are sent each year worldwide (making it the second largest card-sending holiday after Christmas). The association estimates that women purchase approx 85% of all Valentines
OUR PERSPECTIVE: As mentioned, Todd and I celebrated V-day last weekend (see below). Being that I'm in class until nearly 9pm on Thursdays, I sneakily prepared a basket early in the morning for Todd and left it for him to find when he got home from work. It was filled with all sorts of lil gifts; A BYU tie, trendy plaid shorts, cologne, sweets, and a Family Guy DVD (his favorite). He texted me immediately in shock and oozing over it. Then, when I got home, I walked into a clean house! Todd had cleaned our entire apt. A dozen roses were also waiting for me. I used to put up the front that roses were fickle and lacked purpose; I don't do that anymore. I guess I really am such a girl. I LOVE getting them.
All my psychologists-in-traning friends were going off about the "Cynical Perspective" of Valentine's Day; that greeting card companies fabricated the Holiday to build revenue. We've all heard it. I guess our perspective (or maybe mine) is WHO CARES? Why not, skip the card buying and appreciate the reminder to celebrate the love in your life? I'd like to live the fallacy that I don't need a reminder to be romantic, but the sad truth is that in our busy lives sometimes I do. Here's to celebrating our love for each other!!






LOVE

3 comments:

Aubree said...

Your husband did very well as well. Your flowers are beautiful. And I love the little basket you made him. All six of the brown puppies are spoken for, the 4 white puppies are left. You can have one of them for free. However, with the white ones you run a risk of it being deaf and blind later... sometimes it happens to white dogs. If you still want one let me know and I'll call you with her number so I don't post it for everyone to see on the internet. :0)

Aubree said...

I told her you wanted one if someone didn't end up picking one up. She'll call you if that happens. Have a splendid day!

Aubree said...

I want pictures of puppy!!!!