welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Monday, September 8, 2008


It's true--Todd and I have gone from codependent to cohabitating amist intervals of our nomadic lifestyles. Okay, that's partially dramatic but it feels that way. Todd has been working in Escalante for two weeks which is a ways away from Cedar. Meaning, there's no chance for me to visit--especially since I have to be at work in the mornings! In addition to that, I have become a partial resident of SLC again. Two days after returning from our trip to SLC/Logan/Provo where I had a number of work meetings, I headed back to SLC for the monthly Safety Net Meeting. I got back Thursday night and will return this Thursday. Oh, and then I'll be back up for domestic violence training three days later. Like I said, nomads. We both live out of suit cases. We unpack only to repack. I haven't grocery shopped or folded laundry in over two weeks!

Despite this, I'm really loving my job. Let me tell you more about it. I may be missing some facts but basically when Mark Shurtleff was in office, he designated Paul Murphy from the Attorney's General Office to begin a Safety Net Committee where interdisciplinary providers could meet to discuss ways to serve the polygamist population. That was three years ago and meetings have been held monthly ever since. Since that time, the Family Support Center (my employer) has taken responsibility for the meetings and has obtained grants for the running of it. They have hired my supervisor who now runs the meetings and myself; the representative for S. Utah. Meetings are held in St. George, SLC, and Colorado City. Last week was my first time attending. The meetings are attended by people actively participating in polygamy, people from the AG's office, polygamy advocates, people promoting diversity, law enforcement, people from DCFS, Brooke Adams from the trib (you all should google her--she's quite the polygamy historian) and people in the area of domestic violence. Needless to say, the meetings are quite intense--everyone has their own agenda and priority. This was the first meeting attended by the press and many people were quite upset my that! Regardless, it was very exciting to be in the presence of these people and I feel like I'm part of something very exciting!

More about my job--I met w/ my supervisor in person for the first time and expected to get a case load and marching orders...oh contrair. My job is not defined by any meaning of the word. In a nutshell- "we want to start serving polygamists in this area- we want to help people who want to leave leave and we want to help people who want to stay stay. You need to figure out how to get into and serve the communities. Meet these people, read this stuff, try to get licensed in Arizona, document who you serve, you answer to no one, we trust you, here's your cell phone and lap top, go and do". Pretty crazy huh!!

Even as I write this I wonder what to and to not omit because it is such a charged subject where secrets and mistrust abound. My supervisor has been on Larry King Live discussing the issue and is all over the papers. I was briefed on giving press releases and have already read about our meetings publicized online. You can check it out by reading Brooke Adam's polygamy blog (google trib and her name). Anyway, since beginning this job, I have been inundated on the polygamist's history and have a very soft spot in my heart for the pain they have been forced to undergo. I do not know what the answer is for this situation we have but I am heartsick for the families that have been torn apart for decades.

In case I wasn't the only one to know this, the Zions Ranch Raid in Texas was one of a whole slew of raids that began in the 50's where polygamists in Short Creek Colorado (now known separately as Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona) were raided in the night much like the Texas raid. The men were arrested and women and children were taken into custody. Reading the accounts of this is earth shattering to me. As you might know, the Texas Ranch is almost solely occupied by individuals who migrated from Hildale and C. City because of the climate. There have been other raids in Virgina and other places as well. Maybe this isn't terribly interesting to you all but it sure is to me! As a Mormon, this is my history, as a human being this is my heart ache, as a woman this is my challenge. Thanks for supporting me and reading this post:)

On a lighter note, Ty has also lived the nomadic lifestyle. I have dragged him to SLC with me. Here's a picture of him taken from my cell phone--this is how he choses to travel. It if weren't so cute I might just kill him.

0 comments: