welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Sunday, October 18, 2009

One Month

Good news. I've mastered the art of breastfeeding one handed so I can actually make this post on time ish! I uploaded a few pics a day (pathetic that I can't get anything done I know).
_______________________________
It's true...it's been a month. It makes my stomach turn so I won't spend too much time talking about it. Is it bad that I just want her to stay a newborn forever?! I feel immense anxiety over this illusive little bugger we call time. I'll give you a little sneak peak into how crazy it makes me (not that you haven't had a complete visual if you've read this blog even once before)...Two days ago Todd informed me that the tape on my back from my epidural had finally came off completely. Imagine the flabbergasted look he gave me when I burst into sobs (poor Todd right?)! It can't be gone. I just gave birth like yesterday didn't I?! I also may never make it to that required 6-week doctor's appointment because I can't seem to bring myself to schedule it! That seemed so far away at the time. There was even a time I thought I could go back to work after 6 weeks. Yea right!

Enough of my craziness. Here's some things about Lyla at one month. It's okay if you become completely disinterested...

  • She has a knack for pooping and/or peeing the instant you go to switch out the diaper. I've smartened up and double up but before that time she successfully spread butt spray all over the couch, our bed, and about every single outfit/pajama she's worn. She also pooped in the tub once. She keeps me on my toes.
  • She has nights and days mixed up almost entirely. Her waking hours are from about 7pm to anywhere from 5-7am. During that time she never even kinda closes an eye. She's not a bad baby; she doesn't cry much. She just wants to eat and poop all night-and then such on her binky and cry when it falls out of her mouth-which is almost every 2 seconds. It's funny because I always thought the question would be when she would sleep through the night-not if she would sleep at night. We're usually just going to sleep when Todd leaves for work. I try to sleep during the day but there always seems to be things going on and stuff to be done. I probably get about 3-4 hours of sleep during the week but catch up on the weekends when daddy takes over (with the exception of feeding times obviously)!
  • She has a vigor for eating and does it about every 1.5 hours (yes I sort of feel like a milk cow). My favorite is when she comes unlatched and in a panic, she flails her head about trying to get hooked back up. It's funny. I also love when she gets full-she pulls her head back, raises her eyebrow, and gives me a look of complete satisfaction. Is breast milk laced with cocaine?
  • From the day I took her home from the hospital she started trying to lift her head. It bobbles about but she is getting stronger and strong everyday. When you talk to her, she can lift it long enough to pull her head back and have a look at you.
  • She makes the cutest face when she's just trying to wake up-it's like she raises her brows, scrunches her forehead and frowns-all the while keeping her eyes sealed shut. Adorable.
  • Sometimes she is scared by the force of her own poop.
  • She is a petite little thing, but very LONG. At birth she weighed 6.6, Then dropped to 6.1. At two weeks she was 6.10 and that's the latest. She's like in the 6th percentile or something sad but in the mid twenties for length (19 at birth, 21 at 2 weeks).
  • She is quite modest. She HATES bath time and diaper changing time. With my siblings and nieces, I always played "air out your bum" game where when enjoyed a little naked time after a good poop. Lyla hates to air out her bum. Her dad hopes this lasts into adulthood.
  • She likes to mess with her dad. His first diaper change ever she butt sprayed as he was switching out the diaper. She continues to do that. Tonight while I was in the shower she had a major blow out and left dad trying to figure out how to dress her for the first time (he did quite good).
  • She can roll to one side and prefers to sleep that way. It pisses me off (fear of SIDS and all).
  • She is a sucking fool. She loves her binky and boob but if she can't have either she'll take her fist, thumb, shirt, my finger, my shirt, and even my lower lip if I give it to her. So cute.
  • She HATES being swaddled. Every night it's a battle for who will win the swaddling contest. No matter what strategy I use, she always wins; her arms and legs are always uncovered when I peek into her bassinet. The girl's got some fight in her.
  • She startles very easily.
  • She *might* have diva qualities. Sometimes she'll be completely content until I set her down-then she'll just squeak just enough to get me to pick her up. Then not a peep.
  • She had (pre mani) freakishly long fingernails (catwoman anyone?).
  • She is sensitive to emotion. There have been a *few* times when overtaken but how lucky I am, I have held her and cried somewhat ferociously. She cries back. Whenever she's around Addy she becomes a hard core crier because she cries anytime Addy does.
  • She has good taste in music. Last night I was singing her the one lullaby I know (seriously, there needs to be a class for new moms on lullaby's or something) when she lifted up her little fist and hit my in the mouth. I can't blame her.
  • Just last week (at about exactly a month old) she smiled!!! My mom, who has mothered 5 kids, saw it and was flabbergasted. It was not a gas smile (she has those too). It was a social smile. Since she has smiled 2 more times for me, once for dad, and once for grandma (and yes I get jealous).

Did I mention she's perfect?

Here's what I've been up to the last month.....

Looking Adorable Sucking on the Binky... Perfecting my "miss priss" look Sucking my Thumb Helping mom unpack/clean Did I mention sucking my thumb?! Enjoyed some SUN in Mesquite. In my swim dress (no I didn't swim) Try to sleep while my mom bugs me. Doesn't mom look like crap? Enjoyed the night life. 4 am Got a mani (thanks mom) Enjoyed mommy time in my rockin leggins. Enjoyed Daddy Time Enjoyed some Ty time (not really though) Cheered on the COUGS Caught some Zzzs when I should be awake Looked bright eyed when I should be asleep...And in case you didn't know how cute I am, here's more pictures









4 comments:

Charles Family said...

Chels, I am so glad that you posted again. I love your posts. You are right, you do have a beautiful daughter! I still can't believe you are a mommy. I love it!

The Price Family said...

U don't have to tell me! Time as you knew it is gone forever and will now and forever be on fast forward. The pics are darling, thanks for the update!

Amber said...

Oh she is beautiful! Your making me baby hungry! And I adore all the bows.

The Allen Family said...

You need the magic video called "Happiest Baby on the Block." I'm tellin you - one night Andlie was up ALL NIGHT, the next (after watching that video and following it's every direction), she slept for SEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT! :) Lyla is beautiful. Congrats.