welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Thursday, September 1, 2011

4 months & 23 months

210209208207205204203201

055054064063062060059058057115113

111110108107126125124122160157156155153152151149148147146145143141140139138167166165164163162161041040036035032031030028021020019015013011007

087

089

090

099

101

102

105

108

109

151

154

155

165

Dear Lyla,

Can you believe you’re 23 months?  Your last month before you officially become my two-year old.  There are moments when I catch a glimpse of you playing or running from place to place with that adorable little booty-shaking jog that I can’t believe what a little child you have become.  The soft skin and chubby silhouette of my baby is gone, and in its place is an amazing tiny human with bright blue eyes, hair that shines silvery in the sun, and a smile that can light up the entire universe.  Your personality is bigger than life and continues to be lovingly good natured.  You love to play play play…with toys, with people, with mom and dad, with anyone and anything.  That’s not to say there’s not a challenging side to you, as with everyone.  You are particular and fixate on things.  If you want something or want something one a certain way, you scream it out and won’t let it go!  You are also into destructo mode, pulling things out, and tearing things apart.  You’re not one to entertain yourself for very long..although you’ve gotten better since Lottie was born.  The Dr. says it’s because I spoiled you.  It’s true.  Before Lottie, I played with you pretty much all day.  You aren’t entertained by any one thing for very long.  Movies are good for about 20 mins, we have read the first page of about a billion books, and do more of dumping toys from their bins than playing with them.  You have very imaginative and mature play at the same time though.  You cook in your kitchen and fill me up cup after cup of water from your facet.  I’ve mentioned before the incredibly cute things you do with your baby including dressing, diapering, bathing, and swaddling your baby.  I’ll often find her wrapped up in your bed of in the swing.  It melts my heart.  Dad calls you Little Chelsea, because you do all the things I do including, using deodorant, brushing your hair, taking your shoes off the minute you get in the house.  I do it, you do it.  Thanks for making me feel like I’m worthy of mimicking.  You make me feel the most lucky mommy in the world. 

~ You went through what I can only guess was a giant growth spurt at the beginning of your 23rd month.  You signed or said “eeet” all day long I swear.  You were starving all day it seemed but that didn’t mean you’d eat just anything.  All day long we’d play the guessing game of what you wanted. 

~You ate the randomest, pregnancy-like foods.  Wheat thins dipped in marinara for breakfast? Peanut Butter Cereal and Pizza? Whatever!

~You now say “pretty” to flowers on your shirt or anything you seem to enjoy Smile

~You say “again” and “one more time” every time we sing a song or play a game you enjoy

~You say “grab it!” anytime you drop something or want something.  It’s so cute and funny how you say it

~You tend to get in the way of Lottie’s kicking or flailing and take it personal when she hits you.  You become indignant and say “hey!” or “Lottie kick me!”.  How dare she!

~I always tickle you and say “nakey baby” when you’re getting dress or in the bath.  So now you say “ke ke” whenever you’re naked and rub your belly.  It’s hilarious. 

~You are way into coloring at the moment.  As much as I love it, I don’t totally love that you find any paper/magazine/book/newspaper and color on it. 

~You have done so well attending to your little garden.  You water it yourself and try your hardest not to trample the plants

~If the sun gets in your face in the car you cover your face and say “stop it!”.  Curse the sun huh!

~Whenever you’re dirty and need a clean up you say “wash”!

~We had a very difficult 3 weeks when you were getting molars and possibly had a cold as well.  You poor thing.  You really suffered.  You’ve been basically getting teeth for two months straight.  First with your front molars, then the canines (which are barely poking through) and now with your 2 year molars (only one has poked through).  You would get a fever (as high as 103), had a running nose, slobbered so bad you got a rash on your chin, and had the worst diarrhea and bum rash.  I felt so bad for you because you were so tired but wouldn’t sleep well.  You were so cranky too.  I think the worst is behind us but you still probably have 3 molars left.  I wish they’d be more spaced out for you babe!

~You are my little cleaner upper.  You will throw things away that mom asks you to and all sorts of things. 

~You have a child molester face that we all love laughing at! I have NO idea where you got it but you’ll get this silly stare and then raise your eyebrows up and down in this creepy way.  It’s SO funny!

~Whenever I cook something (or even get something out of the kitchen) you say “I’na cook too!”

~You work the eat thing to the Nth degree now.  Anytime you’re in trouble for hurting Lottie, or if it’s time for bed, you say “eeet”

~You can say Chesee now.  HAHAHA

~You say Ewww to everything! Flies, crumbs on the floor, you name it, EWWW! So girly. 

~You are my little energy saver and insist on turning off the lights whenever we leave the room.  You whine and say “OFF!” until I lift you up and help you turn off the light. 

~You have discovered the yumminess of the marshmallows in Lucky Charms and pick them out. 

~You report everything that Lottie does.  “Lottie sleepin” “Lottie cry” “Lottie kick!”

~You love doing ring around the rosie and sing gibberish to the correct tune.  It’s so cute

~You use my purse as your own.  You’ll take the play cell phone and put it on your shoulder, carry your purse and your play keys.  SO grown up Smile

~You say Charlotte now.  Killer

~You say “YEEEP” from Storage Wars.  It’s so funny

~We had crazy potty success for a minute there.  We got you a potty when we were in Target one day.  I had no intentions of training you, but thought I’d just put it out for you to get used to.  I set it by the real potty and when I had to go asked if you wanted to go too.  The first time you sat on it you went poop and pee!!! I was shocked.  For the next few days you would go on it anytime I asked if you wanted to.  The problem was that you wanted to sit on it ALL day and use 20 yards of toilet paper just for fun.  The novelty sort of wore off and now you don’t really go although I think you would it I pushed it.  I think it’s a good sign though Smile

~You are very much into fruit roll ups at the moment

~You were introduced to Krispy Kreme donuts and I think you’re changed for life.  You ate 3 of them on the drive home and kept asking for “DOE!!!”. 

~You are still my little carb girl

~When you do something naughty, mostly something mean to Lottie, you will put yourself in time-out! It’s like you just can’t help yourself, but then feel sorry after.  When you get out of time out you clap for yourself.  lol

~You hair as started coming in so thick all of a sudden!  People even remark how overnight you have hair!  In all of its platinum and beautiful whispiness

~I just love how you say “help mom!” all the time

~You are still such a little swimmer fish.  We had a ward party at the Aquatic Center and a bunch of moms commented on how you’re such a wild and brave child in the water.  You’re all about going down the water slide on your tummy now

~Whenever you can’t get up on something or in somewhere you say “stuck!”

~You love juice and run to the fridge and say “JU!”

Charlotte, you are 4 months old now.  How did that happen my sweet baby?  Sweet is one of many words that describe you so well…good natured, lovable, beautiful, special, peaceful, precious.  I could go on… Sometimes I wonder how I got so lucky to have you in my life.  You are such a good baby.  I’m also surprised sometimes when I stop and look at how beautiful you are.  I guess I didn’t think I’d be lucky enough to have TWO of the most beautifulest babies on the planet.  But I am.  We used to get a lot of comments that you looked like your dad, but now everyone says you look like Lyla and me. Either way, you’re so pretty.  You’re eyes seems bigger these days and you’re little newborn face is goneSad smile You have certainly transitioned into a baby.  You’re so alert, a crazy mover, and look more mature everyday.  That’s not to say you don’t have many elements of that delicious newborn that I love so much.  Your smell still catches me off guard.  There’s nothing like it.  Your skin is a satin that is so silky smooth.  You still somehow snuggle into the crook of my neck and find a way to get more cuddles than a mom of 2 under 2 should be able to give.  Somehow I find myself thinking that I don’t hold you any less than I did Lyla.  I pack you around everywhere.  I feed you on the tramp.  You sit on my lap while I play with Lyla.  You sit on my hip while I cook or pick up. .You are certainly spoiled.  You somehow became a mommies girl, even with the efforts to have you less needy.  If you wake when I’m gone, you literally WIG.  Like WIG WIG. until I get home.  Dad cannot sooth you.  Grandma says you already have stranger danger because you cry when she’s holding you to and quit right when I pick you up and it’s not because you’re hungry.  Lots of times you’re fine to lay there or sit in the bumbo as long as you can see me.  You get ticked if I move out of reach and watch me from across the room.  You already complain to me if someone else is holding you and you can see me.  I love it secretly.  It’s true that I treasure every moment I get with you that is just about you and snuggling.  I’ve been to a few movies and I always bring you and love the 2 hours of holding time.  I also hold you all of church even though it gets tiring.  Just today I was enjoying the time waiting for the doctor because it was just you and me, playing and talking.  I figure now is as good a time as any to talk with you about my fears for you as the 2nd daughter.  Mom is the second daughter and to no fault of my mom or my big sister, I have always felt second best.  Less pretty.  Less (way less) skinny.  Less athletic.  Less driven.  Less smart.  It would absolutely break my heart for you to feel any of this.  I know there’ll be comparisons made, but please know that everyone has things that they’re better at and not so good at. I already worry that you will feel less loved because I do some things differently.  You don’t sleep with mom as often, you sleep in your own room now, you have less pictures on the wall.  These things are functions of being the 2nd.  I have less time and I’ve wised up.  So some things have changed.  It has absolutely nothing to do with love.   MOST IMPORTANTLY, please know that Dad and I feel the most amount of love there is to feel for a human being.  It really is true that somehow your heart just expands and makes room for more.  I love you every bit as much as your sister.  I hope and pray that you have enough love my dear.  That you always remember how beautiful and special you are to us. 

4 Month STATS

Weight: 13 lbs 3oz….34%

Height: 24 inches….33%

Head:  16 inches….35%

~You are my mover and shaker.  You’re definitely stronger than Lyla was (there I go with the comparisons).  You kick and wiggle and move a lot

~The wiggling doesn’t stop when you breastfeed.  You push off the whole time you’re eating.  They’re attached my baby!

~You can swear 6 to 9 month clothing!  I was surprised to see you’re actually on the smaller side because you can wear bigger clothes

~You had a few bad weeks sleepwise.  I partially wondered if you were teething but perhaps a growth spurt.  You would wake up 3-5 times a night and be up for long periods of time.

~You have the most delicious thunder thighs.  Rolls upon rolls

~I love to sing “You are my sunshine” to you because I think it captures how I feel about you

~I think you have my toes

~You like to fall asleep in the weirdest position.  You’re facing out and sort of draped across my forearm

~You’re rocking the size 2 diapers

~You suck your toes!  The most adorable thing ever.  You lay on your back and pull your feet up and suck away. 

~You enjoy the play mat.  You grab at the toys and are pretty entertained by it.  I play you classical music while you play

~You are more interactive in general with toys.  You are entertained by them and they’ll actually calm you down if you’re mad.

~You rock the bumbo like a champ these days and can sit up in it pretty good

~You poop at the dinner table all the time.  I tell you that’s bad manners Smile

~You like to suck on your fingers and occasionally choke on them!

~on 07/25 (3 and 1/2months) you rolled over!  I was so impressed.  You did it perfectly and didn’t get caught up by your arm at all.  You held your head up high

~You can recognize my face or hear my voice from across the room and will smile at me.  Love it

~You take 2 naps during the day..one around 11 and one around 4 ish..lovely

~You have long beautiful eye lashes

~You definitely know where the milk comes from because there’ll be times when you’re totally fine until I pick you up and then you’re rooting away!

~You aren’t a 0 to 100 baby which is nice.  You can be pretty patient and slowly let me know you’re hungry. 

Love you my babies!

 

0 comments: