welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wildflower festival, Cedar Breaks

Friday afternoon we went to the Wildflower Festival held at Cedar Breaks!! I read about it on National Park Website awhile ago and pitched the idea to Todd...he took the bait obviously. It's basically a festival featuring all the beautiful wildflowers that bloom in summer. The festival is held June 30 to July 16 in the trails around Cedar Breaks. You can tour with a geologist or just take the flower guide info and do a self-guided tour. We opted to do the self-guided, 2-mile hike to Alpine Pond where, as promised, the view of wildflowers was the very best! I would definitely go again. We had fun identifying all the flowers on the flower guide and basically enjoying the BEAUTIFUL landscape. BTW I would like to brag about the fact that I took all these pictures by my very own self. I read the "tips for taking pictures of wildflowers" and I think they helped!

Although we've both been there before, we had to go to THE lookout. It always AMAZES me.

Cedar Breaks: The term Cedar came from the Cedar trees. The term Break came from the way the land breaks off from the mountain.
SOOOO Purdy
AND magnanimous
AND striking
AHHHHHH! Look out! Cheesy couple pose
My sexy tourguide :) Yellow Evening Primrose
Bristlecone Pine
Red Bristlecone
Yellow BristleconeLittle Sunflowers, Scarlet Paintbrush, Aspen Bluebells
Marsh Marigold
Aspen Bluebells
Bristlecone Pine
Scarlet PaintbrushColorado Columbine
Yarrow
Larkspur
Beetle Tracks (those little scratches are from when the beetles nest here and the larva scratch through)

Pooped
We made it!
More COLUMBINES (I love em)

This tree was struck by lightening. See where it struck?

Alpine Pond in all its glory (not that glorious due to bark beetle)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since we were already over the mountain, we decided to head over the Duck Creek for the chili-cook off festival. Todd had heard about it from a coworker. It's basically a big fair with live music and vendors galore....from jewelry to fruit smoothies, to fry bread, to whatever! The randomest part? I saw NO chili anywhere. Regardless, it was lots of FUN!!!!!!

FRIED TWINKY!!!!! (and one clogged artery)
Me checking off my flower guide ;) We didn't find them all BUT pretty close!
The food was define! Todd had a pork sand, I had a Navajo taco and then I had a fried doughnut w/ dipping sauce...holy moly was it good eatin.

3 comments:

Amber said...

ok, you guys are having too much fun traveling around. Im jealous. And about the deep fried twinkie. I had a deep fried snickers bar at the county fair one year.....one of the best things I have ever eaten!!!

Anonymous said...

i fear you are loving the no job thing so much I may have to come down (and after enjoying it a little myself) drag you back to slc... ps i make a mean indian taco these days! have you made res for kays wedding yet?

Unknown said...

Lovin' the twinkie. Delish! And happy birthday! Hope you have a great day!