welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Monday, December 7, 2009

It's a material world...

.and I'm a material girl.
Yep. I joined the ranks of men and women who sacrifice sleep, personal space, and down right good sense in the name of a deal. can I just say that I never expected to get so overtaken by this consumer-driven frenzy. I'm slightly ashamed.

So. I woke up at 4am (after Lyla didn't go to sleep until 1pm and then woke for an hour's feeding at 2:30am) and since Lyla was sleeping sound, I did a quick 20 minute pump, left instructions for Todd and jetted off with Melissa in tow. The rest of the family was already at their respective stores with their respective marching orders. The night before we had mapped out all of our desired purchases, their locations within the store, and prioritized each item in the event a triage situation arise. I was a bit nervous because Todd has never given her a bottle when I haven't been there but these concerns were quickly replaced once the image of wal-mart, with a full parking lot at 4 am, came into view. Wow. This could get interesting.

I guess I could sum up the whole experience by saying this: I went in for a computer chair and a leap and learn thing for Lyla, and left with things stacked a good 3ft above my cart. There's no other way to put it that I was downright taken OVER by the need for a good deal. Who cares if I didn't need it!? It's a good deal! If a swarm of people were going after something, I just piled it on. Half the time I didn't even know what I was throwing in my cart but if other people wanted it, I must too right?! After Wally was cleaned out, I met up with Jenny to shove things in every nook and cranny of 2 SUVs and my car. After hitting Staples and Big Lots, we gathered at IHOP to share tales from our shopping experience. It was like a gathering of meth addicts after a good hit. We were high on consumerism.

After the high had subsided, I realized the error of my ways and took back EVERYthing except the two damn items I set out for. I had the take things back in shifts because I was so ashamed.
.think I'll skip black Friday next year.

1 comments:

Amber said...

No, you will back at next year. I said that I wasnt going out this year. No such luck. Its a drug you cant resist.