welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Mexico: Numero Cinco

Our fifth day in Mexico was certainly the busiest. We spent the whole day touring the city of Acapulco. Baldo, our awesome tour guide, was nice enough to spend the whole day with us giving an inside look into Acapulco. We took some photos right outside our hotel room since this was the first day we had real clothes on (and I wore makeup)......














Baldo drove into the city---which mainly had bars appealing to tourists. The city was a little rough in my eyes. Then, we stopped to get some pesos, and set out for a beautiful drive along the bay, up in the hills where the rich people live. I remember being surprised at what constituted "rich". Still, nothing can beat the views these homes had. Acapulco is so tropically beautiful. The road up towards the nice part of Acapulco winds right along the ocean.



Addy enjoyed the ride, and this twix....


First Stop: a fort built to keep the city safe from pirates. The structure still stands. It was built at the top of the city so that intruders could be spotted. It provided an amazing view of the city, ocean, and bay area.












Next stop was the flea market: another cultural experience. The main thing I recall about the flea market was simply how sweltering hot it was. I remember thinking these people must feel as though they live in hell. No breeze. Slightly smelly. Dealing with cocky Americans who try to take you for every penny. I guess the later went both ways though. I loved all the things for sale, but hated being harassed by each person selling. One older lady followed me around the whole day saying "lady...how much you pay?". I hated bartering because it just didn't seem right...so I basically got taken. Oh well. Lyla got two adorable Mexican dresses, a t-shirt, and a bell. I got a plate and a spoon holder for the stove. We all left with serious swass. After the flea market, we had dinner in town at a "nice" restaurant. It had gravel floors and fans. Oh how I missed AC, but it was all part of the experience. We ate the best Mexican food we had all trip and sipped cokes in glass bottles. We had this really cool older Mexican waiter who did magic tricks for the little girls. I wanted to snap a photo (didn't out of respect) because he had one of those faces that you know has a story to tell.

Lyla learned she loves limes

After dinner we went to a the biggest attraction in Acapulco, the Cliff Divers! It's a 50 ft cliff that men jump from every night. There is some pretty cool story about how the cliff jumpers started but I can't remember it! Oh well. The cliff jumping is pretty serious. They are unionized! And make lots of money. It kind of reminded me of the quintilette boys from Twilight. haha. I was REALLY cool to watch. They walk down this path, jump into the ocean (with HUGE swells), climb the cliff bare footed, and then dive off the cliff! Pretty intense.





Look CLOSELY to see the divers

After the divers, we stopped in old town for a Palletta (ice cream). There were a lot of homeless begging for money in this area. They all looked so skinny.
And that wraps up our day in the city! I loved observing the culture and scoring useless trickets. I've never heard so many spanish adorations for Lyla. I wish I knew what they were saying but everywhere we went people went nuts over her.

0 comments: