welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Monday, June 14, 2010

Mother's Day



I honestly don't know if I ever thought I would make a post titled Mother's Day and have it be about me. I can't tell you how special, surreal and utterly happy it makes me to be a part of this exclusive club. Through my travels, bumps and bruises, I've learned that while it doesn't take too much to be a mother by definition, it takes a WHOLE lot to be a mother by practice. This day is colored differently for me than I thought it would be when I was younger. It means pain in a way...for all the people I now know and love, who aren't mother's in the traditional sense. It was also a pretty sad day for me, for awhile there. I guess it's all part of the process now...being that this day simply meant the world to me this year. I've learned that there's all kinds of moms out there, all deserving of celebration. I hope we can all honor those moms to cats and dogs, to plants, to their coworkers, to whatever. I think Mother's Day is a day to celebrate women. Period. We all deserve it right? So happy Mother's Day to all the beautiful women in the world.


.....


I had a great weekend of being pampered endlessly. Saturday I did lunch with my sisters and mom, and then we got gel toes. Sunday Todd did everything for me, spoiled me with a gift card to by expensive clothes (mostly guilt free) and some books for Lyla from an author I adore (he knows me too well..that I'd rather things for Lyla than me-lame but true). We also had a lovely dinner that night cooked by the men.


....


Since becoming a mother, I appreciate the mother's in my world all the more (funny how that happens huh?) I feel like my mom was a super hero now. She did absolutely everything for our betterment. She faced so much during my childhood, and conquered it all, just for us.


I look at Todd's mom almost like a scientist would, trying to teach myself how become the mother that she is. I'm saving the rest of this for a post I plan to make about memorial day (It'll make sense I promise) so I'll stop there, but she is amazing.


.The end.

0 comments: