welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Sunday, November 28, 2010

12 months



































































Dear Lyla,
You have been with us for one whole year my baby. How did that happen? It's no exaggeration to say it's been the best year of my life. There is nothing like the feeling of being your mom. There is nothing like waking up to your smiling face, when you let me cuddle you. There is nothing like your ear to ear grin, with little teeth poking out. Like when you get real close to my face to talk, and take me in. There is nothing like a sloppy, open-mouthed kiss from you. There is nothing like your raised arms beckoning for me to grab you. There's nothing like comforting you, watching you experience something for the first time, or being a part of your life every single day. Your 12th month will go down as another one of my favs. Each day is like getting to chill with my mini BFF. You get things enough now that we can laugh and play and learn together. I just love watching you play with toys. You go all over all day and love figuring out how each toy works. You're not soo big yet though, which means you'll cuddle and love on your mama. Thanks for this year my baby. Congrats to you for all you've accomplished in this short time. It's been a pleasure.
The Theme of this months is Communication. You are so good now at telling me in one form or another what you want and need. You are a master at using grunts, whines, begs and cries to tell me what you want. Pointing and reaching are also a big part of your new communication skills. It helps that you are so incredibly expressive. People remark all the time that you have the best facial expressions. You have the whine face, the happy face, the smile face, the contemplative face, the offended face..and the list goes on. It's really great to be able to interact this way and not have to guess as much at what you want. Just wait until you can talk!


in12 Month STATS
Weight: 15 lbs 09 oz..... {point}16%
Height: 26.50 inches.....1%
Head Circumference: 17.25.....14%

My itty bitty babe!

Here' some other things about your 12th month...

  • You squish your nose all the time now. When you're bored, mad, sad. It's cute and funny

    You are NOT a fan of blankets when you sleep. No matter how asleep I think you are, you know the instant you're covered and kick and squirm until you are not covered

    You love to share your food...to us, to Ty, whomever.

    You can say HI

    You can drink from a cup now

    You raise your arms all the time to get what you want. You raise them to get picked up, if you want something we have...you name it
  • Now that you're very mobile and understand where mom goes, you follow me EVERYWHERE. I have a new partner when I use the bathroom and shower. I love when you pull back the curtain of the shower and smile as if you've found the most precious prize. You usually drench yourself in the process too.

    You make the motions of the itsy bitsy spider climbing the web. It is to die for! You put your little pinchers together and nod to the song. You are SO smart.

    One day something just clicked in your brain that you can mimic. Now you do everything we do...you'll raise your arms, make similar facial expressions, stick out your tongue, etc, etc. It was so amazing that one day we finally saw that you understood and really grasped what we were doing.

    You had 5 teeth starting your 12th month

    As evident from the pictures, you still LOVE climbing in things

    You take our cell phones and put them to your ear as if you're talking. It's so adorable

    You can lead the music. When music is playing, you'll raise your arms and swing them like the chorister.


    You LOVE ice cream. I think you'd eat it for every meal if we'd let you. You beg and whine as soon as you see it

    You can shake your head NO! If we try to give you food you don't want or someone picks you up who you don't want to, you let them know you're NOT okay with it!

    You love the minky blanket gran gave you. You'll crawl over to it and lay your head on it and rub it. Lord knows you won't sleep with it though!

    When eating something you really like you want one for both hands!

    You drink milk really well and go through a half gallon a week

    You point to things when you want them

    You dig on twinkies

    You give kisses! I love when you learned this to this. I feel so loved when you open your mouth and lean in towards me.


    September 29th was the most monumental day perhaps in your life. At 12 months and a few weeks, YOU FINALLY SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!! 8 whole hours of uniterrupted bliss. I felt as if I'd been at a spa retreat for months. Honestly, people had hassled me for months that I hadn't let you cry it out yet...but I really just knew that you would get it by the time you were one. I just knew it. When 12 months came along and you were still waking up 4-6 times a night and not napping, I started doubting myself, but you got it!!! I knew you would my love. Since then it's been better and better. You now sleep about 12 hours a night and take a regular 1-2 hour nap. You sleep so soundly I can't beleive how different it is from before. I'm so glad I waited and you caught on. Thanks a million baby girl.

    You LOVE nutella. Thank goodness for it because it adds calories to bananas and bread which you desperately need.

    You gasp when you get excited. It's killer

    You HATED shots at your 12 month. I can't say I blame you. It was so sad...I think with the flu shot you got 5 total.

    You now listen when I read you books and will sit still without turning the pages. It is great

    As you got closer to 13 months, you started to HATE when I shower. You used to love finding me and would chill while I finished. Now you bawl and scream until I get out. I don't know if you're just that needy or it you think something bad is happening to me while I'm in there. I usually grab you up all soaking wet and you rub my shoulder until I calm you down. It's so sad that now I only shower when I can get dad or somebody to chill with you (which still usually pisses you off)

    You chipmunk your food. You act like somebody's going to snatch your food away so you shove tons in your mouth and store it in there until it can be all swallowed. It's amazing how much food you can keep in there without choking.

    You still LOVE bathing. Now you know when I start to drain the water and scoot to the back of the tub! You smart stinker! I love how much you love it though. You have this bath toy that plays music that you bob your head to and sqeal to. It's so funny.
  • You really like putting random things on your head, like clothing or whatever. Yet, you won't wear bows or hats that actually go on your head, go figure

    You eat basically what we do now which is very nice...but messy. You love pastas like spagettis and alfreado, macaroni and cheese, pizza, hamburgers (sometimes) yogurt, bananas, toast with nutella, chicken noodle soup, and milk. You hate pretty much all other fruits and veggies and most meats. It's lovely. I have to get pretty creative trying to get good foods in your tummy

    You can say mama and papa so good now. I love it

    You're much closer with dad now, or show affection to him more. You point and say DA excitedly when he gets home

    You whine and beg instantly when you see a treat you want. Even hearing the wrapper of a candy in the other room. You have a 6th sense when it comes to chocolate and you hunt it down!

    By the time you turned 12 months, you had pretty much weaned yourself. It might have helped that my supply likely decreased with the pregnancy. You now breastfeed once before bed and that's it! Otherwise milk in a sippy is sufficient. My that was easy! You didn't seem to care/notice at all. Pretty suprising.

    You are INPATIENT! Oh my. When you want something you make it known...and beg and whine til you get it. You even whine during pop goes the weasel until it finally pops!

    You LOVE pictures of yourself on the wall. Dad says nothing cheers you up like yourself:) You point and smile and want to look all day long.

    You bring books to me now that you want me to read to you. Oh this melts my heart. I wanted you to love books. I scoop you up and read away. Its' great.

1 comments:

Sara Jones said...

She is such a doll! I just love those blue eyes!