welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The scoop A to Z

I realized there's lots of things going on in the Gambles household I failed to write about. Here's my sad attempt to not make this update extremely boring


You have to read the whole thing for it to make sense




A is for April. The month we'll become a family of 4 (at least I hope anyway...I better not go into May!!). I've always thought spring is a perfect time to have a baby. You get to be fat during the winter months and have the baby when the weather is mild and temperate.



B is for breastfeeding no more. Lyla was so easy to ween and was completely done at 13 months (It was my neediness that made it go longer). She went straight to milk in a sippy. I was so surprised since she was such an addict for so long. My doc says I shouldn't expect my milk to dry up since now my body's working for #2. Pretty crazy I'll basically go 4 years of being either pregnant or breastfeeding.



C is for Clinical. Licensed Clinical Social Worker that is! I got my LCSW last month. This means I'm no longer supervised and can have a private practice. It's supposed to mean more money too (we'll see).



D is for driver's license. Utah law says once a person is diagnosed with Epilepsy, they cannot legally drive for a minimum of 3 months. My doc sent in my revocation the day he told me I had Epilepsy this has caused a lot of stress as you might imagine.



E is for Epilepsy. My EEG (crazy test where they hook all these tiny wires to your brain and make you sleep) apparently indicated that my left frontal lobe has seizures. All my incidences (like even back from when I found out I was pregnant with Lyla) were just misdiagnosed as my heart-or wrongly blamed on my heart because I have an arrhythmia (but it is not causing the problems). All I really remember is the neurologist saying things like "everyone has a disability, this is just yours" and telling me to join support groups. I just wanted to say shut up, I'm fine, tell what this really means.



F is for fatigue. I am SOOOO much more tired this pregnancy. At first I attributed it to Miss Lyla but now she is a champion sleeper and I'm still so tired. It's a different kind of tired than sleep deprivation. It's fatigue. I try to nap with Lyla but I just seem to have too much going on.



G is for Glee. The whole family loves this show! Lyla boogies with every song.



Halloween. I love this holiday and will post soon. Lyla owned her bumble bee costume.



I is for Intermountain. My employer no more. After a lot of pros and cons and pep talks from Todd, I quit my hospice medical social worker job. It didn't bring in that much money but required me to be on call essentially 7 days a week. It felt like I was working all the time but getting paid nothing. Stress + little money=quitting time.



J is for Jazz. Todd's sister gave us her company's tickets which her $114 a pop! They were great seats. It was my first time going to a pro basketball game. Todd and I had a great time on date night since we never do that.



K is for Klohe. The first name of my new, amazing neurologist at IMC in Salt Lake. She has taken a much more conservative approach to my neurological issues. She DID NOT think it was advantageous for me to take the seizure meds while pregnant and is okay with me waiting to start them until I'm done breastfeeding baby #2. She also says I can drive as long as I pull over when I have the vision problems. She is my hero. I cried when I left her office as my initial consult was so devastating. It's no fun to be told you can't legally drive, have to take meds that may cause your baby to have a cleft lip, and can never breastfeed again.



L is for Lamictal. This is the drug my original neurologist prescribed to manage my seizures. I was told it may or may not cause birth defects like cleft lip. Taking it also requires that I NEVER breastfeed again. He said my options were to take the meds or not be his patient anymore. I'm not his patient anymore.



M is for morning sickness. I actually understand the word this time around! It's not so bad to puke up breakfast when you know you'll feel better as the day goes on. I kind of crawl out to the kitchen each morning, nab Lyla and I food, and feed her in the recliner. It makes a huge mess but it's how i survive. Then by noon I'm feeling amazing.



N is for Nutella. I owe this product my life since it's the only way I convince my child to eat anything remotely healthy.



O is for Odyssey. Part of Todd's reaction to this new baby has been anxiety-ridden planning. One night he stayed up all night, downloaded this app to his phone and starting researching vans and applying it to our budget. Cute huh? Apparently Honda Odyssey is the one to buy but we'll wait a few years since we just paid off our car.


P is for Private Practice. I was recently given the opportunity to be a referral source for students at a boarding school in town. All students come from a treatment facility and are required to participate in therapy. The school recommends a few options to each family and I'm now an option. When I do get referrals, I'll be functioning as a private practice. I've got to figure out the billing thing and get an office before that, but it's exciting.



Q is for Queen. Lyla is definitely taking on a queen bee persona. She won't even let me hold her dolly! She also pushes her little pink chair in the center of the living room for all to admire her.



R is for refurbished. I've been trying to get smart about space saving, etc for the new addition. Thank you craigslist for great old used furniture that looks new with a can of spray paint and hardware. I recently found a solid 2 drawer night stand I'm going to put in our room to serve as the diapering center. Out with the space hog, changing table!



S is for smell. I've been much more offended by smells this pregnancy.



T is for Todd. He says there's nothing new with him. He stretches his handiness every day doing things around the house. He recently rewired the cable up through the attic so that it could be on a different wall. I was impressed. Both BYU and Denver aren't having the best of seasons which makes for eventful game nights.



U is for University. We're already arguing about what school we want Lyla to go to. I say no to BYU because I have a fear she'll get married at age 19. Hahaha.



Violet. From Private Practice the show. I love her.



Walking. Lyla is sooo close. She takes up to 5 steps but then plops down. It'll be nuts when she's just trucking around the house.



X is for The XY Chromosome. I am convinced this baby is a BOY! Mainly because I haven't been nearly as sick this time around. There's been other differences too like I had instant heartburn with this babe, I cry double the amount and I get turned off by smell so much easier. I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything but It's my prediction. It's great because either outcome is a great one! Boy means we get both flavors. Girl means fun little sisters. Win-Win.



Y is for THE Y of course. I might not want Lyla to go there but I'm still a supporter overall. I get the biggest smile thinking about Todd taking our brood to the games all decked out in blue.



Z is for Zombies. We saw some killer ones at Thriller! We love going to Thriller in Tuacahn. Lyla slept pretty much the whole time and luckily it was a warm night so she and I just snuggled in the blankets while I enjoyed the show!

That's all :) I'm realizing now that we didn't have that many updates and they were mainly about me! Ooops.

3 comments:

Charles Family said...

Congrats on the private practice thing! That's awesome. I love that show (and Violet) too!! Heartburn huh? That means your babe is supposed to have lots of hair. If it's any consolation I think you are having a boy too! Yay Lyla! Sounds like she will be walking in no time.

Aimee said...

Let me know if you need any private practice tips. I've been at it over a year now and I can tell you all my mistakes!

I had heartburn with Cash so my bet is a boy! Either is great though like you said. I love my sisters!

JadeLuckMoney said...

Chelsea! I cannot believe all the stuff that's been going on. Despite the less-than-stellar news about the Epilepsy it must be nice to finally have a solid diagnosis in place so you know where to go. As always, let me know if you ever need anything!