welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Friday, October 21, 2011

Learning Day: Water Colors

Thanks to Pinterest, I’ve been introduced to some amazing ideas for engaging and teaching toddlers. I’ve designated Mondays as Learning Day.  I took like 2 seconds and printed off images from Google and put all the available activities I’ve come across in a binder so that eventually Lyla can pick what she wants to do or that day.  For now I just show her the picture and tell her what we’re going to do.  I’m told this fosters decision making skills.  Anyway, Lyla is a busy little bee, and I love any activity that engages  her, teaches, her, and gives us the opportunity to bond one-on-one.  This is the least-cool of the ideas I’ve come across but I’ll blog them to share!.  I thought it was the least cool because it requires the least prep, but Lyle LOVED it.  And played with it for over an hour.  She loves to pour and mix things.  You basically just fill out a bunch of clear plastic containers with water, and set out the food coloring (brave and wasteful probably but oh well).  I was fascinated to see her know right what to do.  She took the lids off and starting dropping colors into the water.  She would light up when the water could take it’s color.  She mixed all sorts of colors, poured and stirred.  Then we’d dump the water out and start all over.  I’d state each color she used.  Simple, educatory,  fun. 

077076075074073

0 comments: