welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sweet Dreams

Dear Charlotte, I started on your nursery the very day we learned you were a girl.  I had big dreams of a soft girly paint and vinyl, but your dad’s practically reminded me that it wouldn’t be the smartest thing to have our only two extra rooms girly, in case we ever have a boy.  So instead, I went right to work accessorizing your room to be the perfect place for you to rest your sweet head.  For me, preparing the nursery is a way to bond and feel like I’m giving you my life before I can even squeeze you.  Dad will tell you that I get obsessive and relentless about it, and won’t rest until everything is just so.  I’d say everything was pretty much in order at 25 weeks.  When I found the wall hanging little butterflies at Tiapan, I felt like I’d struck gold.  I’d looked for something similar with Lyla and never could find them.  Since you get to share her bedding, it worked out perfectly.  The fabric pom pom balls were completed after you were born.  I found a tutorial and put my mom and sisters to work helping me.  We spent one full day while camping cutting tiny circles and glueing them.  Would you believe we only got them half way done?  They were a labor of love just for you my sweet.  It ended up being 4 full yards of fabric cut into 1 inch circles and glued.  It sounds insane..and I guess it was.  But they look perfect hanging above your sweet head.  Dad was nice enough to paint all the frames, that now honor your sweet newborn pictures, the perfect pink.  I hope you see that this room was prepared with love, in an effort to welcome and celebrate your sweet presence in our home.  Sweet Dreams. 

DSC09696DSC09695DSC09694DSC09693DSC09692DSC09691DSC09690DSC09689DSC09688DSC09687

Dear Lyla, it was a bittersweet experience to take out the crib and replace it with a big girl bed.  I’m not so sure why I cried, because you sleep in our bed anyway Smile It’s fun for me to look over these photos and compare them to your room when you were first born.  It shows life, play and joy…along with a little clutter, stains and mess.  When you were 17 months, we really got serious about transitioning you to this bed.  The first night you did great! You only woke up one time, scared.  I just came in and laid by you for a minute and you went back to sleep.  It’s been touch and go since.  Some nights you take a WHOLE hour to fall asleep.  It drove me nutso when I was pregnant and trying to lay in that tiny bed with you to fall asleep.  Other nights it’s a little shorter but still a long nighttime routine.  You wake one or two times a night in which me or dad come and lay by you.  Either way, you seem to love your big girl bed for jumping :0  I can’t wait until this room has bunkbeds in it and you and Lottie can share without waking each other up.  It’s almost too crazy to even imagine!

DSC09686DSC09685DSC09684DSC09683DSC09682

0 comments: