welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Developmental Play


So one of my many flaws as a first-time mom, is that I don't always know how to play with Lyla. Is it lame that I worry about that?! I do. Some things come so naturally like singing songs, dancing around the living room, and reading books. Other things seem tried and I find myself on the phone or turning on the TV because I'm bored!
If I hadn't of read it before Lyla was born, I don't know if I would have know to talk to her in an educatory way when playing. I'm supposed to tell her what objects are, explain how toys work, define processes (open/close) and explain colors?! Really?! This play business is stressful. Okay, a moment of honesty, I make things stressful. I want to be good a play though! Most of the time I just do what comes natural, but other times I feel like I should try to maximize her learning potential. Soooo, I found some great books that site fun play options that match with her developmental stage. It even explains why certain types of play (even singing itsy bitsy spider) enhances her development at a given time. Pretty cool right?!



-Some of the suggestions are pretty basic, like let your child unload a drawer or laundry basket (I pulled the utensil drawer completely out, brought it in the living room, and she went to town!).
-Another suggestion was to use side walk chalk or big crayons and help your child start to draw (Lyla wanted more to eat these things)
-One suggestion I LOVED was to make an "indoor sandbox" where you fill a pan with sand and bury little toys or whatever. I decided to use oats so Lyla could eat them if she wanted. She loves it! It makes a giant mess though so beware!

Anyway, I'll post other fun ideas when I find them...in case anyone out there is a struggler like me :)

2 comments:

The Allen Family said...

Oh my heck! Play time really stresses me out too! I made homemade playdough the other day - loved. She also really loves the indoor sandbox. Oats is an awesome idea. And, I'm definitely trying the silverware drawer. I'm glad I'm not the only crazy who stresses about if I'm playing correctly with my kid. Haha. :)

Aubree said...

Adorable pictures!! You guys look so happy and she is a doll! You need to help me dress Cadence when she gets here. You're little girl always looks so cute!