welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

But not today. I'm not sure what compels me to post the not-so-pretty side of things...if it's a need for a virtual hug from my kind readers, if it's because I want to remember all this business for the next baby we have (pending retrograde amnesia), or if it's just me doing my duty to all my friends who don't have babies yet...keeping in real. Whatever it is, here's my latest woe. I've had some *slightly* concerning and uncomfortable symptoms show up the last two evenings when I returned from our evening walk (believe it or not, I will spare you the details for once). At first, I tried not to be too psycho about it and just wait it out. By the second time I was pretty nervous. Of course my Dr was out today when I called in. BUT, having an OB nurse for a sis definitely comes with some perks. She just happened to be in a meeting with him right when I called her to ask her what she thought about it. My dr, Dr. Heath (who really is the best and all Cedar residents should go to him) then got on the phone and said meet me in my office right now (but not in a "something is really wrong kind of way-just- "I'm your go-to guy" kind of way). Jenny got to be my nurse since all of his were out for the day (because women can't be alone with male drs). SO, the verdict is...well a number of things but the explanation for the most concerning symptom is that I have a "raging" UTI (if you don't know what that is, then you're probably a male so I won't bother writing it out). I've never had one before and I hope this is my last! The UTI also explains some other things like 1) why I keep peeing my pants every two seconds! and 2) why I have had the WORST leg cramps the last two nights. I wake up every 40 mins with that charlie horse-killa pain. When I told my mom she said "how can you have a UTI and not know it!?" I guess I'm not in tune enough? My dr said I've likely had it for many weeks.

So anyway, I guess urine can tell you a lot of things. In addition to the UTI, it showed that I was pretty wicked dehydrated and that I am not eating enough. I used to be so good at drinking the RDA of water, but it's tough making up for all that gets hurled up. I was really surprised about the not eating enough thing. I can't remember what the technical term he used that was in my pee but I will not forget my very professional dr. saying "basically, your body is eating itself because you're not eating enough". I felt really bad. Will I sound like a total wimp if I say I'm trying!? My dr wasn't mad that I wasn't eating enough though (he knows I'm a puker). He was mad that I didn't follow his recommendation to take Unisom and B6 to help with the puking-thus keeping food in my belly to feed the baby. I feel like an idiot but in my defense my mom told me not to take Unisom. She went off about an older drug that all OBGYNs recommended that caused kids to come out armless and what not! I hadn't really weighed the risk of depriving my little one over the risk of taking some stupid OTC drug that everyone takes and has healthy babies on. Also, when I first got pregnant all my concerns were about having an obese kid (studies show if you eat like crap your baby is more likely to be obese-it's like they come out on a sugar high), having gestational diabetes and all things related to my fatness. Now, I just kinda feel like I can't win! At first my dr very seriously went over not gaining too much and the risks of getting g. diabetes so it's just weird to be on the other end of things. I feel really guilty and have a greater resolve to try harder

Even though I'm a bit concerned about eating enough, the majority of my fears have been calmed. I don't care what goes wrong with me as long as the baby is okay (too bad they tend to be too closely correlated huh?). By the time I got into the dr. I was sure the baby was not okay. I was an emotional wreck. SO, it felt really good to hear that Baby G is doing fine. After a full exam, the dr said everything looks good. No sigh of threatened miscarriage or preterm labor. Jenny and I also got see our little one again in an ultrasound. The baby has grown a ton! It was so cute too..we got to see him/her open his/her mouth and the best...it's hands were up hiding it's face. You could see the little nose poking though the hands. It was so cute! I think we have a shy one on our hands. I also learned that my placenta is anterior (on top) which means it could be a while before I feel kicking (bummer huh) and that the baby is breech (normal at this time) but NOT good for trying to detect the sex! CRAP! I will die if we don't get to find out next week.

It doesn't matter though. I am just soooo glad everything is okay. We are being taken care of for sure. Now, I am gearing up for a week of antibiotics, lots of Gatorade, and more eating. Sorry if this was uninteresting/too whiny for you guys!

4 comments:

Aubree said...

I loved this post.... but, I am a labor nurse. I hope things get better and you stop puking. UTIs suck in general, but expecially during pregnancy. Girl you need to start drinking it up an EAT!! :0) Can't wait to find out what you're having. Hope it's a boy, LOVE boys! Do you have a prefernece at all? I know we just all want healthy, but I'm curious.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're letting us all know what the heck is going on! It is interesting and I like it. I'm excited for you guys to find out what you're having. I just voted for boy at the top but I think it's a girl now. I guess we'll see!

JadeLuckMoney said...

I feel the UTI pain--I've had some pretty intense ones. Maybe we will have to do lunch one one of my days off and then I'll make sure you get enough to eat (at least at that meal!) ;) Love you tons, and love reading your posts (even the gruesome detailed ones).

Deryck & Bree said...

OMG! I found your blog through Brooke's blog, I am sooo out of the loop with everyone, I didn't even know you were married let alone that you were expecting! That is so awesome, congratulations! it is so nice to be able to peek in and see what old friends have been up to. Wish you both the best!