welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nerds R US


Todd and I indulged the nerd in us today and went to The Clark Planetarium to watch the IMAX, "Mummies, Secrets of the Pharaohs". This movie was so interesting and wonderful!. The film follows a scientist's journey in uncovering the secrets behind Mummification. The story toggles btw the rein of The Pharaoh, Ramses and a modern day scientist who actually mummifies a body donated to science in order to understand and uncover the secrets of Mummification that have preserved bodies for millions of years! This, done to better understand ancient diseases like Malaria in hopes of finding a cure today! In watching the film I couldn't stop thinking about the level of sophistication of the Egyptians and just how insane it was! It was also interesting to understand more about the Egyptian's rationale for mummifying. I have to say, there are a lot of parallels btw their philosophies of the afterlife and ours. Interesting! We also had fun brushing up on our knowledge of the Solar System and other nerdy things! WE HAD SO MUCH FUN!

p.s. Salt Lake dwellers need to go! All IMAX tickets are 5 bucks for the month of April (for their anniversary). Check it out! We plan to go to The Human Body next week!

I know what you readers who know both Todd and I are thinking; that I pulled Todd's arm to go...but that's JUST NOT TRUE! We both randomly decided it'd be fun...and he loved it! He did call me a nerd a lot though :)
Todd really enjoyed the movie! We went to the MOON!!
I went to MARS Cool solar system-looking ceiling...I want my kids' room to be like this! Ahhh. Majestic Earth
Todd in front of "Ur-Anus". Oh my.Me in front of Saturn...It's my favorite planetHow stars are born. I have to admit..I think Nebula's are pretty bitchinPracticing being a Weather Forecaster! He was doing the swirly hand motions and all. HAHA. See him in both monitors? The Pendulum illustrating Earth's rotation. I don't care who you are...this is cool!Hubble babyGiant Mouse TRAPGift Shop FUN

CHEERS TO THE NERD!

3 comments:

Amber said...

Whenever you guys come down you have to go to the Ghetty (sp?) Center. Its really pretty. A lot of it is art but it looks over L.A.. We love to go there.
And I dont think you guys are nerds!

Michael said...

I've tried to get Aubree to go with me to the planetarium several times. She thinks it's too nerdy. Hopefully, this will help me persuade her it's not. Or, at least persuade her that nerdy doesn't necessarily mean bad. I mean, come on, she married a nerd. :)

Unknown said...

How fun! Everybody needs to do something like that every now and then. And thanks for the words of wisdom! ("To hell with 'em!")It's definitely boy troubles and it sucks, but I'm getting through! :) See ya!