welcome to my internet home. this blog used to be cool, with insights about mental health, social policy, pop culture and the like. now, it's a chaotic collection of my mis-spelled, scribbled-down notes on motherhood (who has time to proof read?). it's over-ran with goldfish cracker crumbles, slobery wet kisses, and un-edited pictures. and i would have it no other way. feel free to laugh and cry along side me while I balance a practice (mental heath) and motherhood, and their interconectedness

Thursday, December 27, 2007

A very merry Christmas

Todd and I left Saturday morning to spend Christmas with the Gambles in Swan Lake. We had a lovely, lovely time celebrating family, sacred birth, and the chance to remind ourselves what life is all about; gratitude.


A recap of the events...

Saturday: 3 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS
We arrived mid afternoon to unpack and prepare "game-night" food (mostly me) for the BYU Bowl game taking place later that evening. Todd's brother came down from a neighboring town in Idaho and we went to his other Brother's to watch the big game on their big screen. WHAT A GAME! For those of you who are familiar with the concept proposed in "The Secret", our experience watching the game definitely disproves the theory. The idea is roughly that one's mental "hope" or "will" in the metaphysical can bring things to pass in the physical. I lost faith in the theory because Todd and his brother we being SOOO negative! They had made up their mind the game was over. Despite their defeat, the cougs overcame in an unreal fashion. The men, having to be sorry for giving up hope, made the victory that much Sweeter.


Sunday: 2 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS
I always love going to church in the little meeting house in Swan Lake. Their chapel is half the size of normal meeting houses. Where they lacked in size, they made up for in spirit. Nearly everyone participated in the Christmas Program. Todd's nephew sang a sultry tenor duet that was lovely. Another member of the ward played this bluesy Christmas medley that was so beautiful. It was somber in a way that was not depressing but calming. Music that touches me like this song is usually the most effective medium for me to get into that reflective, contemplative state that always brings some type of personal insight. Being that the little church was surrounded by miles of snowy fields, this song and the atmosphere made me think of what it must have been like for Joseph and Mary when they sought refuge in a world that was not kind. It also made me think of the wise men seeking something they did not know; searching for fulfillment that their conscious had yet to find. I realize that neither of those experiences involved snow, but that bluesy tune and the stripped, desolate, yet peaceful nature of my surroundings provided some insight into the lives of those who seek; into the lives of those who wander.

Monday: CHRISTMAS EVE
This day was undoubtedly my favorite. We began the morning (which was actually more like afternoon) sipping hot coco with toast around the kitchen table. This table overlooks a large picture window and miles and miles of snow-topped farmland. This endless sea of colorblind white again brought me back to that somber yet tranquil state. I thought of mine and Todd's life thus far. I thought about the family that made Todd what he is today. I thought of of those who weren't with us this day. While sipping and preparing the Christmas Eve feast Todd's mom shared a tearful sentiment about how Todd's father used to give the cows extra hay on Christmas day. I wish I could describe how this adorable act of kindness embodies all of the things I love about Todd...
Following our tranquil breakfast, I sat down with Todd's mom to get several recipes for several meals Todd has adoringly requested I make. I enjoyed our chat as I jotted down the recipes and inserted procedural questions.
Daylight conceded into evening as the rest of Todd's large family trickled in. Most of the family was able to make it. We had a feast of all feasts over laughter and child-like anticipation. Following dinner the family exchanged gifts; this was done because all of Todd's siblings have families and spend their Christmas' at their respective homes. Todd and I were utterly spoiled. Todd's mom is so thoughtful; over two months ago I mentioned a book I was pining after; she bought it for me and many other things I mentioned I wanted. Todd's siblings also draw names and exchange gifts. Todd's brother Brad and his wife Lorie had us. Lorie got us (mostly me) the cutest home decorations. They intentionally matched my current decorative pallet (how thoughtful) with the stuff they got us. She also made us a book of family home evening ideas. I totally needed that too :). I also got to open the gifts Todd had sent to his mother's for me; as did Todd.
The evening ended with a riotous game called the "sign game". Its hard to explain but it is so fun to play! My gut was literally aching after because I was laughing SO hard. The family then dispersed to await the arrival of the fat, jolly representation of all childhood hopes and dreams.


Tuesday: CHRISTMAS DAY!
The day of uninhibited anticipation finally arrived! Santa brought us Clementines, Bath and Body Works stuff and a shirt for Todd. Todd and I had too much fun visiting his siblings at their homes to see what Santa had brought his nieces and nephews. I think I've officially become old because I now get more joy out of giving gifts and seeing other's get gifts than I do in receiving gifts. That morning we braved the cold and went to Todd's brothers for a delicious breakfast.
The highlight of the day was definitely getting to talk to by brother in Ukraine. We kept it short being that I will see him only 10 days, but it was still good to check in and hear bits and pieces about his life in the land far far away. During our conversation someone called on their cell phone so I got to hear Zach speak Russian in a full conversation. This fully blew my mind; I think Russian is such a beautiful but complex language and it was utterly shocking to hear my little brother speak it with such ease.
We spent the rest of the day relaxing and playing more of the "sign game". That evening Todd and I were forced to return to Salt Lake for work the following day. We were sad to go but left with a renewed sense of perspective of purpose.

Christmas Eve

The hustle and bustle just before the FEASTTodd and a Christmas LilliBet and a Christmas LilliA Christmas Todd; ready to open GIFTS!Decoration Gift #1



Decoration Gift #2Some of our gifts from Todd's mom (I also got this fabulous 3-in-one pot that I fully needed; it steams veggies, cooks pasta, and serves as a normal pot)PRESIDENTS AND PROPHETS by Michael K Winder: The book I've been pining after. It covers each U.S president and their relationships with the LDS church. I've only read a bit thus far but it's been incredibly interesting. The peak of my interest is when members of the Presidency of the Church disagree amongst each other regarding politics. This disagreement is fully illuminated in the types of relationships each U.S president has with the LDS church. I have to admit sometimes it makes me ornery because I see the never-wavering"right wing" politics of the church being wined and dined by the Presidents who share such beliefs. Despite this, I am please to see the dissension among LDS leaders and members. One day WE will invite a Democratic president to Temple square as opposed to ALLOWING a democratic president to visit. A small gift I brought for Todd to openA book Todd's been pining afterOne small gift from Todd: Christmas Vacation BABY! I mentioned last Christmas that I wanted in. Todd had to order it from Amazon bc it was no where to be found.The most thoughtful gift of all from Todd; a UTAH hoodie. Non-BYU fans probably won't understand the sacrifice it took for Todd to spend money on something endorsing UTAH. He said he felt dirty even going to the website. This is not a joke either. Todd's brother's cringed when I pulled the hoodie out. What a sweet act to forgo his hatred so that I might have an emblem from my soon-to-be Alma MaterThe clean up :0Playing the "Sign Game"Not sure what they're all starring at!More funLovin LilliSister's horsin aroundBrrrrThe Winter Wonderland....Christmas morning
The view I've been raving about More sign fun Christmas morning (I hadn't quite done my hair for the day...YIKES!)
Like I said before, A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

0 comments: